Tuesday, July 8, 2008

No Harm, No Foul

"You see, you spend a good piece of your life gripping a baseball, and in the end it turns out that it was the other way around all the time."
Jim Bouton, Ball Four, 1970
I have been very unlucky with my Mets games when I attend them. 0-5, but alas, we won we really won! I think I know why, I was wearing "civilian clothing" (a.k.a. non team attire.). I am a genius, a genius. Also, I am sporting the Johan Santana goatee, maybe a little lady luck came to town. 4 in a row and 1 1/2 out of first, "civilian clothing". Baseball is full of superstitions, Wade Boggs had to eat a full chicken before he played, Turk Wendell brushed his teeth in between innings, and OliverPerez hops over the baseball lines.
Baseball players have a knack for that kind of quorkyness, I have to have the volume set on even numbers and everything is done in even numbers and also I have to arrange my cards in a certain way when I play solitaire. I swear I was built to play baseball, I was meant for it. I love hearing the stories about these things because now I feel like I can relate to them! "Civilian gear", that was all it took. Baseball in a funny way is all about these kinds of things. The 69 Cubs had a enormous game lead in the standings, funny how one black cat crossing the dugout can make that lead disappear. Welcome the Miracle 69 Mets, oh by the way it happened at Shea and nobody knows where, when and why the cat did it. Also, they never found the cat after the game. Athletes are weird like this. Hockey players don't shave during the playoff push, some wear the some underwear (ask the Minnesota North Stars of 1991 on there way to the Stanley Cup Finals, granted they lost). "Civilian clothing" that was all it took for a win.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

we FINALLY saw them win together. it was definitely because of "civilian clothes" and katrina kisses :D