Wednesday, August 13, 2008

The Dog Days.....



"What you have to remember is that baseball isn't a week or a month but a season - and a season is a long time."


Chuck Tanner




Baseball takes forever. The season is a marathon, not a sprint. You could be leading the league in hitting or homers leaving April in the minors by May, just go ask Carlos Delgado and Chris Shelton. The season starts in Spring and ends in Fall! Think about that the next time you sip you lemonade on a hot summer day. I love it, I can't get enough baseball. I watch the Caribbean World Series in the winter. Baseball is the greatest gift to sports. I know, I know football is the new hotness. Give me baseball any day. I can watch the Mets over and over again ,even when they lose, and never tire. The stretch run, August is upon us. Last August I was coasting with the Mets in first place, then came September. Oh, September you bitch. What a collapse, I was in a month long nightmare. I didn't want to speak. I tried everything, I changed the way I watched, I tried lucky socks, I ate chicken (Ask Wade Boggs, that was all he ate before games. He landed in the Baseball Hall of Fame.), name it. Now I have this new season, but somehow that bitter taste is still there. It is official, the Phillies are my worst hated team. I actually rooted for the Braves against them, THE BRAVES!!!! Jimmy Rollins is public enemy. Chase Utley, I would walk straight up to him and punch him. I hate Philly, I truly do!
The "dog days", August is a long month. This is when arms start to tire and new heroes are made. Rookie call ups, or journey men flash in the pans. The win/lose column is broken down in every way imaginable. One game here or there and start making golf plans for October. So enjoy the last month in a half, and i will be there at the end to write about the start of the playoffs.

1 comment:

Katrina said...

let's not do a repeat of last year, Mr. Met.