Thursday, August 7, 2008

Football, It Is Still Summer But, It Is Time

"If my mother put on a helmet and shoulder pads and a uniform that wasn't the same as the one I was wearing, I'd run over her if she was in my way. And I love my mother."
Bo Jackson
Ah, I know that I have been very lazy and haven't been on my blog for a while but it is summer and I am trying to enjoy my time off. You know what can make the summer feel like it is over? Football. That time of year when the injury reports start to pile up, the fantasy football chatter starts, and you watch as players fight for a roster spot. 53 spots for about 80-90 guys. The journey can be long to get to the NFL but once you get there you can be out in a second. All it takes is a pop and there goes the knee. The average career span for a NFL player is 3.5 years. Can you imagine your boss telling you that before you accepted a job? Some guys are willing to do anything, some may cheat to make it. The saying goes, "By hook, or by crook". I heard a story the other day, I can't remember the guys name or what team he is trying to make. He graduated top of his class from Brown, he could be making a fortune on Wall Street (he was offered a job where the money was going to be great). He chose to give that all up, put it to the side, and give it a shot. That is passion. He wanted to prove the stigma about Ivy League athletes, and prove they weren't just brains in shoulder pads. That is a man's man. Those are the great stories you want to hear. Kurt Warner was a after thought for the Rams, a blown out knee and he took his opportunity. He went on to win a Super Bowl and two MVPs and he is still in the NFL. This summer story was about the world's most famous number 4. I will use his name once, Bret Farve, and then he is number 4 the rest of the way. Number 4 was my favorite player, until now. He acted like a spoiled brat and caused drama for the Packers all summer. He forced a trade to the Jets and now I must deal with him for the rest of the year (I live in the New York area). Number 4 is a baby and I have lost all respect for him. The Packers went back to him 3 times to make sure he didn't want to come back. Oh, and then he finally got the itch and decided that he was ready to take back the keys to the corvette. Not so fast the Pack said, they had already named Aaron Rodgers the starter. So what did Number 4 do? He demanded a trade to a division rival. I am glad that the Packers stood pat and traded him to the place they could get the most. Number 4 acted like a baby, so why should he get his demands? But, alas football is coming. Can't wait for my fantasy football draft, oh and there is something else I can't wait for...... My New York Football Giants get to defend their crown atop the NFL!!

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog."
Archie Griffen

No comments: