Monday, May 12, 2008

Pink Bats and More


I love the whole pink thing on Mother's Day. Every player in the league has to thank mom for, I am sure, driving them to the ballpark when they needed it. Mom, how can we forget. She is the glue. The safety pin for every man in her life. The Amazin's gave her a victory. While watching the game, a nice story came across the tv. Gary Cohen mentioned how much Oliver Perez loved to pitch on Mother's Day because of how much this event meant to him and how much his own mom helped get his career started with the encouragement and the car rides. Mom, the glue. How often do you see a football player, after he scores a TD, turn to the camera and say, "Hi Mom!"? Mom, the glue. Try to think of life without a mom. Remember those times when mom went away and you and dad would look at each other like, "OK, what the f*ck do we do now?". One woman can do the laundry, make dinner, clean dishes after dinner, iron, shop, bathe you, clothe you, sing a lullaby, and then restart? I would like to see Peyton Manning do that. Michael Jeffery Jordan has nothing on mom. Mom, the glue. She got you there on time and clean. I know I may be a day late with this, but I had stuff to do like set up my wedding and celebrate my mom. She is there when you clang the free throw, or throw an interception. The home run you yielded is in her head. She prays a prayer every time you cross the line. My mom was barely in to sports until I started. She sat there for every down, no matter how we stunk. She rang her bell with every ounce of energy. Mom, the glue. She wore my jersey with pride when I was getting thrown out of the game because I hit somebody too hard. Come on, its football. But she was there. I know what you may think, "How is this a sports blog?", well think about it. How else am I getting to practice, wearing a clean jersey or having a fan for life? Dads, I will get to you later, but today (yesterday) is for mom. Moms, we salute you... no matter how many trips to the principal we take or how many times we get laid off, you will always tell us how proud you are of us. Mom, the glue.

No comments: